Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sea Urchin is like cannabis? : Seryna, Legaspi Village, Makati Philippines

All abuzz in little tokyo..

Little Tokyo in Manila is alive and well.  

Got a chance to try Seryna and it was worth the effort. Seryna serves up good solid japanese food sans all the fanfare. What they lack in presentation they make up for in quality and quantity. 

Uni(sea urchin) is like cannabis?


According to a study, Uni has a euphoria causing chemical similar to cannabis. 
No wonder I can't get enough.  

Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9150253

The flavor was crisp, with hints of nuts,a creamy-buttery taste reminiscent of the flavours of the sea.


Oo-toro

The prime cut of Japanese blue-fin tuna belly. This was melt in your mouth with crisp & cream texture and oo-so-good!   


Maguro Tuna

I have not forgot about this dish its just that after the Ootoro I have nothing much to say about this dish. It was fresh and it was good.. how was that?

Tenpura


Prawns were good but the the batter was a bit too thick for my taste.

Tofu Salad


Its tofu and salad dressing can't say much more than that. 

Fresh Oysters

I forgot to ask where they were from. They were definitely not Kumamoto oysters. But my guess would be Pacific Northwest oysters because they reminded me of a time in Hama-hama Washington when my friends and I sneaked onto an oyster farm to help ourselves to a "free sampling" of the Pacific's best oysters. (but that is another story) 

The oysters were large, very firm and not light flavoured very little brine.


Squid

These were little gems! Served raw, it had a sweet and salty taste combined with the crisp texture. 



Insider tip:

Seafood is flown in fresh from Japan every Monday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment