Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Rambla, Rockwell Makati City, Philippines



Rambla-ing on..


Having heard a lot of talk about how good this place was, I finally made the effort to try it out. 

I thought this restaurant was  attempting to imitate Ferran Adria's style of molecular gastronomy. However, having sampled their cuisine I can say that this restaurant  attempts to introduce Catalan/Spanish cuisine to Manila with their molecular techniques. 

In my opinion, more places fail than succeed in doing molecular cooking because they place the "show-biz" of cooking before the "flavour" of cooking. Happy to say that this restaurant focuses on flavour before the show.

Because of my preconceived notion of what I would be receiving, I had a little snack before my lunch here ... and that was my first mistake.  



My second mistake, was thinking that the Spherical Olive was just molecular gimmickry. Alas, I still could not resist and I ordered  a little apero/amuse bouche.  This course was enjoyable and managed to convey the fruity, nutty flavour of olives that I like, sans the brine which I dislike. 


Spherical Olives Marinated in Evoo!


The next dish Pulpo a feira was delightful. The octopus was cooked to the perfect tenderness. The potatoes soaked in the paprika flavour contrasted with the right amount of salt. The foam perfectly embraced both the potatoes and octopus and added another dimension to the dish that a sauce would not.


Pulpo a feira



Now onto my third mistake don't get me wrong, there was not much wrong with this dish, it's just that I had a to die for burrata the day before - and the Rambla version came across as pedestrian in comparison.

Burrata, Pesto, 
Red Wine Cherry Tomatoes 
& Organic Arugula 



My fourth and final mistake was ordering the churros which I found very oily & soggy. Mental note: next time go elsewhere for dessert.


Churros con chocolate



Well, it seems I totally got this restaurant wrong so I will have to try it again, again and again!

Que aproveche!

No comments:

Post a Comment